Sunday, 9 February 2014

Freak of Nature: You Are Not Your Cybernetic Implants

Image

Author: Julia Crane
Publishing House:
Valknut Press
284 pages
Publication: 2nd February 2013
Review written by Lady Entropy

(Arc given by NetGalley)

Donate Body to Science. Check.
When seventeen-year-old Kaitlyn checked the box, she never suspected she’d have her life–and her body–stolen from her. She awakens one day in a secret laboratory to discover that her body is now half-robot and is forced to hide her own secret: that she still has human emotions and a human mind. If the scientists who made her find out, they’ll erase what remains of who she was.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this book. At first, I wasn't particularly keen, but maybe because I was never in to the whole "babe in the woods" approach to things of the humor that is someone nod understanding slang.

This book is pretty much Robocop for teen girls. Instead of a police officer downed in duty, being brought back with science to fight against a dirty and corrupt cyberpunk world ran by corporations, we have a teen girl who died, donated her body to science and is brought back with science to fight against injustice in (our) corrupt world. And romance (No, not fighting romance, there IS romance).

Of course, the fighting bit never really happens, it's just mentioned in the end that she's being prepared to go out in an Op. The entire book is set mostly around her having emotions when she shouldn't have none, the danger of her being sold out to the government and separated from her love interest and friend, her attempts at remembering who she was, and her escape.

There really isn't a climax, which prevents me from giving this a better grade. And yet... yet, I found myself liking the book more and more, and I will definitely pick up the next book because I do like who the protagonist is, and even if her romance is a bit meh for my tastes (and please, a book worm nerd who does nothing but be in the lab having amazing muscles is pushing it a bit, but who am I to complain?) I do want to know where this goes. Maybe because the ending was too abrupt, and after a new element (Eric) was introduced. I'd have cut it after the reunion and the information that she'd remain an independent agent.

Also, the antagonist wasn't much of an antagonist and the climax was rather pathetic as climaxes go.

Still, I liked this book. I really did. Took a while to warm up to it, but when I did, I didn't regret reading it, even if it is a little too squeaky clean for my tastes, more so when the issues with morality, good vs. evil, shades of grey of science experimentation on human bodies, etc. deserved a far more complex approach to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment